Thursday, April 16, 2009

McGartland Letter:- wholly misrepresents my career and motivation for working with the Security Services

Letter from Martin McGartland to the Evening Standard

Published 16.04.09


The film Fifty Dead Men Walking (reviewed by Derek Malcolm, 9 April) gives the impression that it is an accurate portrayal of my life.

In fact as I have already made clear it wholly misrepresents my career and motivation for working with the Security Services.

It is on public record that I was already an established Security Services agent for two years before I made contact with the IRA, having been recruited by British intelligence to infiltrate the organisation.

Martin McGartland.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Martin McGartland says; "The Film, Fifty Dead Men Walking, is as near to the Truth as Earth is to Pluto. Kari Skogland, film-makers were forced into, by the IRA, to make a film that suited the IRA. Why would the IRA terrorist help, protect Skogland and her crew by acting as security ... Moreover, why would Skogland, her crew, allow herself to get so close to terrorist. Skogland claims she spoke with Special Branch office. However, I understand she did not. I and my legal team ensured that Skogland, filmmakers made last minute changes to film and they had to add disclaimers to start and ending of the film, to make it clear that I was not involved with the film. The film makers were ordered to pay me compesation."